The Dallas Harambee Steering Committee Presents the 44th Annual Harambee Festival
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, in conjunction with the 44th Annual Dallas Harambee Steering Committee, humbly invite you to participate in the 44th Annual Harambee Festival, one of the longest running community events established in Southern Dallas. This event takes place on Saturday, October 27, 2018, from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Harambee is an East African Swahili word meaning “Let’s Pull Together” or “Unity.” This year’s theme is “UNITY IN THE COMMUNITY,” encouraging everyone to embrace our differences.
The festival is a community-based educational and cultural event that was created in the early 1970’s, by the founding members of the Harambee Festival Steering Committee, a group of community-minded citizens who gathered at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center to form an alternative to Halloween. Their objective was to organize a celebration that would provide a positive, cultural experience for children, youth, and adults. For the past forty-three years, that original objective has become quite a success with well over 5,000 people attending annually.
Expect a full day of nonstop, free family fun!
- Enjoy positive performances by famous and emerging singers and musicians presented by longtime sponsors KHVN, KKDA, and KRNB, spoken word artists, dancers, storytelling, African drumming and dancing, health screenings, community workshops, and more.
- Hands Across the MLK Unity Balloon Release
- The Margaret Burns Heritage Unity Walk
- Recognizing DISD African Mask contest winners
- Shopping from a diverse array of vendors selling African art, T-shirts, paintings, jewelry, African clothing, books, and more in the Harambee African Marketplace
- The Arthello Beck, Jr. Watoto (children’s) Village will provide fun, educational games, face painting, safety and health information, and a free bag of healthy treats.
- Nonprofit exhibits will provide free information on health and upcoming community events
- And last, but not least, a wide variety of food vendors will tempt your taste buds with a variety of foods!
If you have any questions concerning the Harambee Festival participation, please contact Willie Minor, Chairman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-978-7164 or Bobbie Murkledove at email@example.com or 214-533-2054.
Be a Sponsor
Be a Vendor
If you are interested in performing at the festival:
If you are interested in being a volunteer: