The MLK Back to School Festival is an annual event for students of all ages and their families to receive free backpacks, school supplies, and other essential items for the new school year.
The festival will take place on Saturday, August 12, 2023, starting at 9 a.m. in the MLK, Jr. Recreation Center. This is an in-person event and children must be present to receive items.
Items will be distributed on a first-come, first- served basis. You do not have to register to attend.
We are now collecting donations of new school supplies, which will be stuffed into 1000 backpacks for distribution.
The deadline to donate is Friday, August 4, 2023. Please deliver items to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center, Monday-Friday, between 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., or on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
For more information, contact us at 214-670-8418.
- Clear or mesh backpacks
- Notebook paper
- Construction/Manila Paper
- 2 pocket folders with prongs
- Spiral notebooks
- Index cards
- Colored pencils
- Colored markers
- Dry erase markers
- Pencil bag or box
- Glue/Glue sticks
- Informational resources
- Giveaways with your logo
- Household cleaning supplies (Soap, Wipes, Detergent, Disinfectant, paper towels, etc.)
Opportunities are available for Community Partnership with the MLK, Jr. Community Center for this event.
Community Partners can:
- Set up a table to distribute your own pre-packaged items during the event. You are expected to provide 1,000 pre-packaged items to participate. There is no charge to set up a table.
- Donate items on behalf of your business or organization to be distributed during the event. Items must be pre-approved by staff members.
- Donate funds towards the purchase of items. Please contact a staff member for details.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 214-670-8418.
Volunteer opportunities are available for individuals and groups on:
- Saturday, August 5 (9 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- Sort supplies and stuff backpacks
- Saturday, August 12 (8 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- Setup and breakdown of the event
If you are interested in being a volunteer, please give us a call at 214-670-8418.
Thank You To Our 2023 Community Partners!
PETER & DENA SILBERMAN